23 November 2013

The things I cannot say (yet)

9.10 am
The sink leaks, and I've arranged for the property manager's guys to come have a look. The guy in question misses quite a few teeth, speaks a language of his own, and the first thing he always says when he comes is: "ah, it's not broken!" So it's the same again today, he observes how we've fixed it with a plastic wrapper, sees it's not leaking right now, and makes to leave. 

The thing I cannot say: "you listen to me here, I call you to fix something for me, I will pay you double because I don't know the real price, I give you business, you just fix it NOW. Broken or not, what do you care?" 


10.04 am
Three people waiting for the elevator. One of them is moving some stuff upstairs. He carries a big bag with things. When the elevator comes, the bag falls over, all the stuff falls out. While bag and elevator move upstairs, the guy is busy picking up his things. Two other people just check their phones and wait for the other elevator. 

The thing I cannot say: "hey, let's just give him a hand, shall we?" 


2.32 pm
It's a nice day and the one place in the park where it's allowed to walk on the grass is covered with little tents. Families have made themselves comfortable for the day with food, music and drinks. A few groups of musicians are practising their repertoires and different singers have a try at singing a song with improvised microphones. It's loud, the speakers are not good, and on top of that, the music itself is out of tune, and not out of rythm. We're hundreds of people on a square kilometer of green and my head goes spinning. 

The thing I cannot say: "Sing, sing as much as you like, every moment of the day, bring your friends, make music together, enjoy the fresh breeze of the park while you do it. Just PLEASE don't use the mic. Don't you all agree, everyone? Don't we all come here for our peace and quiet? Isn't it enough to have the children's corner blaring songs into the park, and the four big roads around the park busy with traffic, and all the children and their parents shouting at each other? Isn't a harmonious society what we're all after?" 


2.45 pm
We cycle home from the park, manoeuvring between cars and carts, scooters and buses. Cycling is a trade off between enjoying the effort and freedom, and suffering from the fumes, the smog, the chaos and last but not least the noise. We patiently wait for the green light, and as I start to make my way, a taxi cuts me off, honks honks HONKS all the way, pushes my stress levels up to 100 and 

Yet the thing I cannot say: "Stupid. CAN'T YOU SEE MY BABY..? 


One day I'll be able to say all of this. 
In Chinese. 

No comments: