07 July 2013

Finethankyouandhowareyou?

How are you?
Busy!

It's been a fashionable greeting for many years now. I'm not the first or only one to object to the celebration of being busy as a good thing. More and more people share the opinion that taking it easy is a good thing. They strive for something like...

How are you?
Slow...

The only person I know who always said this was my Moroccan neighbour in Amsterdam. Actually I think all his friends and family said something similar: relaxt, easy, cool. After two very intense months, this is only just a reminder to myself. Why don't I live a life that allows me to say I'm relaxt?

Remember:

The real stuff doesn't happen while I'm busy / The real life is not in my emails or online / The big ideas don't come when I run from A to B / The nice Selma does not flourish under an oppressive schedule. 

An extra challenge in Shanghai where work goes on 24/7/365, where people use their holidays to attend work trainings where Sunday is just as good a day for a work meeting as any other day. A city where holidays during the week are compensated by working during the weekend. Also a city where people check their phones more than 150 times a day. I've met very few people here who believe in taking it easy as a lifestyle. 

How am I?
Trying


No comments: