26 September 2012

Harvest time in Hong Kou

When I first came to Shanghai I saw a poster advertising an urban farming workshop organised by GoodtoChina. It felt like a little miracle, and proof that there must be like-minded people in this ocean of concrete towers, vehicles and lcd screens. I knew that even if I hadn't met them yet, all I have to do is keep my eyes open for the signs. We'll soon meet, I thought.

Months later I've indeed met with the familiar looking scene of guys on fixies, girls drinking fair trade latte with organic milk, the cultural creatives with their black glasses who recharge their batteries on a roof garden in the city center, weeding sunflowers and planting carrots. Urban farming is a trend worldwide, and Shanghai cannot stay behind.

But of course, the practise of urban farming wasn't invented during a creative brainstorm session at a marketing agency. It might be a trend for some, it's a tradition for many others. Strolling around our neighbourhood, we see the seasons change from the fruits that are sold from pick-up trucks (water melons, pomelo's, bitter melons, tangerines) but also from the little gardens everywhere. No space too small to plant a little seed in springtime, and find a huge harvest in autumn.

Zucchini's going wild

Drying little zucchini's

Everyone seems to have a pepper plant 

Seedlings in improvised spaces

No comments: